Exchange Server 2010: Fixing a LAB on Friday afternoon..

Hi folks,

This morning I had a mission to fix up a lab that was created a couple of weeks ago and basically the members of the DAG weren’t able to have their services online, Exchange Management Console didn’t open up, initialization of those servers were really slow and so forth.

Well, my first line of thought was Jess.. they screwed up DNS and bob is your uncle.. Let’s get the DNS up and running and we will be fine but it turned out that DNS was okay (not optimal but was okay).

So, since it was a lab, I cleaned up and saved all log files on the file system and restarted the machine before doing that I made sure that DNS was pointing out to the DC (it was a single DC).

As soon as I restart the server and it took a considerable amount of time during this process, after I got access to the console my first tests were:

  • Nslookup (I got a time out which means that reverse zone wasn’t configured properly)
  • \\DCName
    Result: Good, I could see both folders netlogon and sysvol no authetnication issues
  • Set L
    Result: Good, I could see that the server was in fact autheticating against the DC
  • Gpudpate /foce
    Result: Good, just in case to make sure that the server was receiving the GPO
  • Checked if the server belongs to Exchange SErvers group
    REsult: Good

Okay, I went to DNS and I fixed the DNS reverse zone, not a big deal and that wasn’t the root cause of my current issues. Then, I opened my Event Viewer and I saw the following errors on the application:

  • Event ID 2142: Process MSExchangeADTopologyService.EXE (PID=1372). Topology discovery failed, error 0x8007077f.
  • Event ID 1121: Error 0xfaf connecting to Active Directory.
  • Event ID 5000: Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. – Error 0xfaf.

Okay, that’s it LAB won the first round…🙂 and my wife was alreadycalling asking if I would be home at 5PM (In some circunstances that is more pressure than a couple of critical servers down🙂 )

I started to think about enabling logging and all sort of crazy things but usually the majority of the issues are simple things, right? Who hasn’t ever thought several solutions for an issue and turned out that the real issue was just disk pace?

Well, that was the issue here I went to Active Directory sites and SErvices and I noticed that the environment had no Subnets configured and two sites created and that was creating confusion on my lab.

The solution was simple, I assigned the IP range being used by the lab to one of the sites and restart the all thing and here we go, AD Topology working like a charm and all services booting up without any issues.

Of course that is not the solution for all Event ID 5000, 1121 and 2142 but the lesson learned Today is make sure that you do your home work before starting troubleshooting like a maniac🙂

I hope it helps and have a good weekend!

Cheers,
Anderson Patricio
http://msmvps.org/Blog/AndersonPatricio
http://www.andersonpatricio.org
Twitter: @apatricio

Technorati : , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , ,
Zooomr : , , ,
Flickr : , , ,

One Response to Exchange Server 2010: Fixing a LAB on Friday afternoon..

  1. Kudos! You have saved me!🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: